To achieve a comprehensive shady school the following steps are recommended:
- Undertake a shade audit - To assist in this process use:
- Integrate findings into the master plan for the site
- Commission a landscape and planting plan, for the benefit of future generations. Planting can then be gradually implemented as funds allow.
- Prioritise, on basis of greater likely usage, new shade structures
- Communal shade, for group gatherings, lunch-eating and play
- Classroom verandahs, for class activities, eating lunch and play
- Shade over junior courts
- Shade over popular play equipment and sand-pits
- Covered swimming pools (or at least spectator shade)
- Shade for staff and visitor areas.
- Costs and funding - shade can be very expensive to purchase and it can be useful to seek funding or sponsorship for this.
Shade funding template (Word 32 kB)